Wednesday, May 26, 2010

My parents...

So, we all feel that are parents are amazing. (Right?) Well I know mine are. They are the most kind, loving, big hearted, adventurous, talented people I know. I thank god everyday that they are mine.
They are ordinary people on the outside. My mom is a RN and works in the ER. My dad is a retired computer scientist. They live in a nice home and have a dog. (Normal..Right?) Until you get to know them that is. I'll start with my dad. Growing up my mom worked third shift every weekend. So dad and I spent alot of time together. We would make these "killer breakfasts" with eggs, pancakes, bacon, oj, etc... Then we would go hiking, or build something fun like a bird house, maybe hit a bookstore, and then home to have dinner with mom before she headed back into work. We had alot of fun. I'll never forget one time we went rock climbing with a few of my dad's buddies in the Gunks (sp).. We got up there pretty late one night and hiked to the top of the mountain. There was an amazing meteor shower... Instead of pitching a tent we all slept under the stars and feel asleep to mother nature's amazing show.

My dad loves to rock climb, ice climb, hike, sail, take pictures, build anything with wood, and have amazing adventures. The last adventure..him and a very good ol' buddy of his hiked the John Muir Trail. In two summers, (mind you they are both in their 60's) hiked well over 140 miles. The stories and the pictures are amazing...


His latest project is building a boat. Mind you since I was 8 my dad has always wanted his own boat. Well finally at the ripe ol' age of 63, he is finally building his own. here's a pic of his handy work...




beautiful, eh...



Now on to my mom... She has more talent in her pinky then anyone I know in their whole bodies. She can do anything! I swear it. Growing up, I was the kid with the BEST or everything. Mom would make cupcakes for school and they always rocked!!! She would help me with an art project or a report or anything and they were always fantastic with a little help from my mom. She always knew the extras to add to anything. She can knit, cross stitch, weave baskets, make beautiful stained glass lamps, make jewelry, paint, and so many other things I cannot think of them all. Her latest craze is scrapbooking. (thank goodness since I suck at all of it..) My babies both have beautiful baby books thanks to her. She even wrote me an amazing poem when I became a mother. She is unbelievable.

In her 50's my mom ran a marathon. Yep a freaking marathon (this is amazing to me since I hate to run..) She has always worked and is fantastic at her job because she cares so much. She has a heart as big as Texas...


Oh did I forget to mention, she is also a massage therapist. Yep, that's right with all the other things she has done in her life she had time to go back to school to become a masseuse as well!


I can't tell you the times my dad has walked away shaking his head at mom and me because we are laughing so hard some kind of drink is coming out of one of our noses. We have had pillow fights and food fights more times then I can count. She can always make me laugh and always makes it better. She has this infectious laugh that you cannot be around her without smiling and laughing as well. My mom walks into a room and it just lights up because she has this positive energy that just radiates from her.



Both of my parents live their life to the fullest. I have learned alot of life's lessons from my parents and I can only hope to be as good a parent/person as they are! I am blessed to have them as parents and my children are blessed to have them as the amazing grandparents they are! So here's to you mom and dad. I love ya!

1 comment:

  1. This was awfully sweet, Kelly. I can't believe the boat! That is some serious craftiness.

    ReplyDelete